To determine the correct amount of shelving for your room, email or fax your room dimensions to 303-699-3529. Please specify your desired scale, the diameter curves, and the dimensions of your room in feet. Each room consists of at least four corner sections, and straight sections that are cut to fit into the room.
Tools and hardware needed for shelving installation:
- Drill bits
- Rubber mallet
- Hack saw
- 3/8" rabbit bit
- Liquid Nails
- 1" flathead wood Screws
- Sanding block
- Wood glue
- Wood filler
Determining the proper height for your Freedom Train Shelving system:
Laying out your Train Shelving and Sur-Lok Channel:
- Decide on the height of the shelves from the floor. The Sur-Lok channel is usually best placed at the same height as the door frames and windows. Measure and mark this height around the room (as shown in fig. 1.1).
- Using a carpenter's level or a laser level, check to be sure that the marks are level around the room. Using a chalk-line or masking tape, mark the wall where the bottom of the Sur-Lok channel will be mounted.
- Using a Stud Finder, locate the studs behind the wall and mark them just below the level line created in step 2. You may use dry wall anchors and screws to install the Sur-Lok channel, but screwing directly into the wall studs is recommended. Masonry anchors and screws may be used to secure the Sur-Lok channel onto a brick or a stone wall.
Fig 1.2 Top view looking down on the corners. Mark points at A and B.
O31 21.5 inches
- Hold the corner pieces in each corner of the room with the bottom on the level line, making sure both sides are flush against the wall. Mark the beginning of the straight sections, A and B in each corner. This will be where your Sur-Lok channel begins and ends on each wall. Measure the length from between your marked points on each wall and cut the Sur-Lok channel to fit.
- Hold the Sur-Lok channel against the wall, with the bottom along the level line. Mark the stud Location inside the Sur-Lok channel. Drill a hole at each of the stud marks you just identified.
- Set the bottom of the Sur-Lok channel along the level line and screw directly into the studs. Make sure that the channel is level before completely attaching it.
- Start Sur-Lok out from corners, the measurements are listed below. Measure out these distances per your corner.
O42 27 inches
O54 33 inches
O72 42 inches
G5 36 inches
G6.5 45 inches
Mounting your Train Shelving to the Sur-Lok Channel:
Finishing your installation:
- Beginning in one corner, place a bead of Liquid Nail in the Sur-Lok channel. The bead should be just long enough to accommodate the shelving corner.
- Using a rubber mallet, tap the corner into place. Make sure the corners are flush to the wall.
- Wipe any excess Liquid Nail. Repeat at all four corners.
- To attach the straight shelving, place a bead of Liquid Nail in the same manner that you did while attaching the corner sections. Place a bead of wood glue on the rabbet joints where the ends of the shelving meet.
- Using a rubber mallet, tap the shelving into place and wipe excess Liquid Nail and glue from the surface. It may be necessary to clamp the joint between sections to ensure a level surface.
- As you approach the corner unit it may be necessary to cut the last section of straight shelving on each wall, prior to installation. Cut to the proper length and using your router and 3/8" rabbet bit, route a new edge to fit the corner.
Recommended Screws for mounting Sur-Loc
- After the glue has dried, fill any gaps with wood putty and allow drying as directed by the manufacturer.
- Sand the joints until a smooth seamless effect is created. Prime and paint the shelves as desired.
- Use Home Depot 1 ½ inch screws Part # 50882 SKU # 734364508826